Thursday 27 March 2008

Bucolic days


I was slightly incredulous as I sat outside in the sun yesterday and heard bird song and the distant sound of the sea. There was no wind, nor is there any today, there is blue sky, scudding clouds, no doubt it won't last. Daniel thinks we can get out to the Holm of Papay tomorrow morning ... but actually strong gusts are forecast and the wind will be coming from the South East.
When I am trying to work out what I want to write I find myself afflicted by a lot of physical tension, expressed in the need to pace and walk around, do things. Digging the garden, now, that calms me down, releases the mind, helps me to think. But there's only so much digging that one can reasonably do without drawing attention to oneself, as it were ...
I was sorry to read that the Scottish cardinal had been ill and has had a pacemaker fitted. I wonder how much it affected his recent remarks.

No comments: