Friday 21 March 2008

Gusts

Strong winds today, gusts of up to 7omph, so no boat this morning to bring my new PC, but no hurry (am I getting acclimatised?) No mail yesterday, not because of winds but no passengers therefore no plane ... despite the winds the plane has just been this morning and heads off to Kirkwall through banks of rain cloud. Waves are tossed high above the far side of the Holm, a slightly scary sight.

I am trying to get my head around a Wittgensteinian saying: Philosophie dϋrfte man eigentlich nur dichten (Philosophy should really be written as poetry), which appeals to me very strongly, but what does it mean? How can you say that something appeals to you and then ask what it means .... well, you just can, it carries a sense of something vital ... it also reminds me of a comment by a young John Stuart Mill: 'Now one thing not useless to do would be to ... make those who are not poets understand that poetry is higher than logic, and that the union of the two is philosophy' (Reeves p 68), So, Mill, Wittgenstein, and Heidegger, of course ...

Impossible to walk into the NNE winds which blow you back whence you came, it reminds me of the west cliffs of Caldy forty years ago when you could lean back on the wind and it would support you like a wall.

The surface of the loch looks the colour of dark, wet straw

No comments: